Search This Blog

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The 3 Doors To Wisdom

 A King had, as only son, a young Prince, brave, skillful 
  and intelligent. To perfect his knowledge of  Life, he sent 
  him by the side of an Old Wise Man.
  
    "Bring Light to my Path of Life", the Prince asked.
  
    "My words will faint away like the prints of your steps in 
  the sand”, the Wise Man answered. However, I want  to give you 
  some indications. On your Path, you will find 3 doors. Read 
  the rules written on each of them. 
  
    An irresistible need will urge you to follow them. 
  Don't try and get away from them, because you would be 
  condemned to live again, ceaselessly, what you have avoided. 
  I may tell you no more. 
  
    You have to feel all this deep in your heart and in your flesh. 
  Go, now. Follow  this path, right in front of you. "
  
    The Old Wise Man disappeared and the Prince entered  
  the Path of Life.
  
    He was soon in front of a big door, on  which one could read:
  
    "CHANGE THE WORLD".
  
    "It was my intention indeed”, the Prince thought, “because 
  if some things please me in this world, others greatly displease  
  me." 
  
    And he began his first fight. His ideal, his ardour and his 
  power urged him to confront himself to the world, to undertake, 
  to conquer, to model reality according to his desires. 
  
    He found there the pleasure and the dizzyness of the conqueror, 
  but no peace in his heart. He managed to change some things but 
  many others resisted to him. Many years passed.
  
    One day, he met the Old Wise Man who asked him: 
  
    "What have you learnt on your path?" 
  
    "I have learnt," the Prince answered, “ how to discern what 
  is within my power and what is without, what depends on me and 
  what does not depend on me".
  
    "That's good!”, the Old Man said. “Use your strength to act 
  on what is within your power. Forget what's beyond your power." 
  And he disappeared.
  
    A bit later, the Prince was in front of a second door. 
  He could read on it :
  
    "CHANGE THE OTHERS".
  
    "It was my intention indeed”, he thought. “The others are 
  a source of pleasure, enjoyment and  satisfaction, but also, 
  of pain, bitterness and  frustration." 
  
    And he rebelled against everything that could disturb him 
  or displease him in his fellow men. He tried to bend their 
  characters and to extirpate their defects. 
  
    It was there his second fight. 
  
    Many years passed.
  
    One day, as he was meditating on the utility of the attempts 
  to change the others, he met the Old Wise Man who asked him: 
  
    "What have you learnt on your path?" 
  
    "I have learnt”, the Prince answered, “that the others are not 
  the cause or the source of my joys and my punishments, my 
  satisfactions and  my setbacks. They are  only opportunities 
  for all of them to be revealed. 
  
    It is in myself that all these things have their roots." 
  
    "You are right,” the Wise Man said. “According to what they 
  wake up in you, the others reveal you to yourself. Be grateful 
  to those who make your enjoyment and pleasure vibrate. 
  
    But be also grateful to those who create in you suffering or 
  frustration, because, through them, life teaches you what  
  is left in you to learn and the path that you  still have 
  to walk." 
  
    And the Old Man disappeared.
  
    A bit further, the Prince arrived in front of a door, on 
  which these words were written:
  
    "CHANGE YOURSELF".
  
    "If I am myself the cause of my problems, it is indeed what's 
  left in me to work on", he said to himself. 
  
    And he began his 3rd fight. He tried to bend his character, 
  to fight  his  imperfections, to abolish his defects, to change 
  everything that did not please him in himself, everything that 
  did not correspond to his ideal. 
  
    After many years of this fight, in which he met some success, 
  but also, some failures and some resistances, the Prince met the 
  Wise Man who asked him: 
  
  
    “What have you learnt on your path?" 
  
    "I have learnt”, the Prince answered, ”that there are things 
  that we can improve, others that resist to us and that we can't 
  manage to break." 
  
    "That's good!" the Wise Man said. 
  
    "Yes”, the Prince went on, ”but I am beginning to be tired 
  of fighting against everything, against everybody, against 
  myself. Won't there be an end to it one day? When shall I 
  find a rest? I want to stop fighting, to give up, to 
  abandon everything, I want to let go !" 
  
    "It is precisely your next lesson“, the Old Wise Man said. 
  “But before going any further, turn round and behold the path 
  covered." 
  
    And he disappeared.
  
    On looking back, the Prince saw in the distance the 3rd door, 
  and noticed that it was carrying a text on its back, saying :
  
    "ACCEPT YOURSELF."
  
    The Prince was surprised not to have seen this writing when 
  he went through the door, the other way.  
  
    "When one fights, one becomes blind”, he said to himself.  
  He also saw, lying on the ground, scattered around him, 
  everything he had thrown away and fought against in him: 
  his defects, his shadows, his fears, his limits, all his 
  old worries. He had learnt then how to recognize them, to 
  accept them, to love them. He had learnt how to love himself  
  without comparing himself to the others any more, without 
  judging himself, without reprimanding himself. 
  
    He met the Old Wise Man who asked him: 
  
    "What have you learnt on your path?" 
  
    "I have learnt”, the Prince answered,” that hating or refusing 
  a part of myself, it is to condemn myself never to be in 
  agreement with myself. I learnt how to accept myself, totally, 
  unconditionally." 
  
    "That's good!”, the Old Man said, it is the first rule in
  Wisdom. Now you can go back through the 3rd door."
  
    He had no sooner reached the other side, that the Prince 
  perceived far away the back side of the second door, on which 
  he could read: 
  
    "ACCEPT THE OTHERS".
  
    All around him, he could recognize the persons he had been 
  with all his life through; those he had loved as well as those 
  he had hated. Those he had supported and those he had fought. 
  
    But the biggest surprise of all for him was that now, he was 
  absolutely unable to see their imperfections, their defects, 
  what formerly had embarrassed him so much, and against which 
  he had fought. 
  
    He met the Old Wise Man again.
  
    "What have you learnt on your path?" he asked him. 
  
    “I have learnt”, the Prince answered, “that by being in 
  agreement with myself, I had no more anything to blame in the 
  others, no more anything to be afraid of  in them. I have 
  learnt how to accept and to love the others, totally, 
  unconditionally." 
  
    "That's good!", the Old Wise Man said. “It is the second 
  rule in Wisdom. You can go back through the second door.” 
  
    On reaching the other side of the second door, the Prince 
  perceived in the distance the back side of the first door, 
  on which he could read: 
  
    "ACCEPT THE WORLD". 
  
    “Strangely enough”, he said to himself, “that I did not see 
  these words on the first time”. He looked all around him and 
  recognized this world  which he had tried to conquer, to 
  transform, to change. He was struck by the brightness and 
  the beauty of  every thing. By their perfection. 
  
    Nevertheless, it was the same world as before. Was it  
  the world which had changed or the glance he had on it?
  
    He met the Old Wise Man who asked him: 
  
    "What have you learnt on your path?" 
  
    "I have learnt”, the Prince said, that the world is a mirror 
  for my soul. That my soul can't  see the world, it sees itself 
  in the world. When my soul is cheerful, the world seems cheerful  
  to it. 
  
    When it is overcome, the world seems sad to it. The world 
  itself is neither sad nor cheerful. It IS there; it exists; it 
  is everything. It was  Not the world that disturbed me, but the 
  idea that I had of it. I have learnt to accept it without  
  judging it, to accept it totally, unconditionally. "
  
    “It is 3rd rule of Wisdom”, the Old Man said. 
  “You are here now in agreement with yourself, with the others 
  and with the World.”  
  
    A profound feeling of peace, serenity, plenitude, filled 
  the Prince. Silence was in him.
  
    "Now, you are ready to go past the last Threshold”, the 
  Old Wise Man said, “the one that goes from the silence of 
  Plenitude to the Plenitude of Silence ". 
  
    And the Old Man disappeared. 


Author unknown
Posted by Priya Deelchand

No comments:

Post a Comment